Changes Due to Covid19
As of May 11th, 2020, Peaks Counseling will be returning to face to face sessions. At the same time, however, we are also accommodating teletherapy for those who feel more comfortable with this method. There is no end date for this. We want our clients to feel safe and to do what they feel is best. The most important thing is that you are getting the services you require and that we are helping you to reach your goals. When you book an appointment, just let us know whether you’d prefer to come into the office or if you’d rather have virtual sessions.
If I come into the office, what should I expect?
- Please arrive exactly on time. We are asking that clients try to come into the office as close to their start time as possible. This will help to get rid of waiting room traffic.
- If you do need to sit in the waiting room, we will have plenty of options for sitting 6 feet apart from others. We are also asking that you wear a mask if you have to stay in the waiting room. This is simply to keep you and other clients safe.
- We will have sanitizer that you can use upon entering the suite and when you leave.
- We are asking if you or if anyone you have been in recent contact with has a temperature of 100.4 degrees or higher that you please reschedule your appointment. Or, you may also request a teletherapy appointment instead.
Additional procedures to keep you and your loved ones safe.
- Unfortunately, no toys will be kept in the waiting room at this time. We understand some kiddos may be disappointed but germs love to travel from games to puzzles, etc. This is something that will just be temporary. We promise we’ll have more entertainment for your children as things begin to get better.
- Toys will still be used in sessions. Seeing as your therapist will be working one on one with your child, they will be able to identify what toys are being used. After each session, your therapist will be spraying and sanitizing the toy(s) that were used during that appointment. This is to ensure that if kiddos have a favorite toy, it will be available for them and we will avoid any viral transmissions.
- We will have sanitizer in the waiting room and in the office for our clients. We ask that you use it upon entry and at exit.
- If you are comfortable with it, Peaks Counseling can keep your credit card securely on file. This will avoid having to swipe your card and the touching of screens for signatures, etc.
How do online sessions work?
During this time, HHS (The Health and Human Services) is allowing all mental health clinicians to use FaceTime, Skype, Zoom, and Google Hangouts, etc for online sessions. Your clinician will ask you which platform is best for you. At the time of your regularly scheduled appointment, you will provide your clinician with the best number or email to reach you at and they will dial you into the call. From there, your session will carry on as usual and it will be just like a regular appointment.
How do online sessions work for children?
For children, you will connect in the same manner as above and again, you will let your clinician know what platform works best, what number to call, etc.
As we all are aware, children tend to have smaller attention spans and you may be wondering how your child will last for 45 minutes on a face to face call. To make things go smoother, here are a few suggestions for your child’s online appointment and some items to have that may be of use during the call:
- Pens, pencils, markers, and crayons with paper for coloring pictures and learning concepts together.
- Play sand or a fidget to help with sensory input.
- Any toys that they would like to share or introduce me to. Even pets! I’m sure it would be fun to meet your furry friends (and they can meet mine too).
- Have them in an area that provides enough privacy to make them feel comfortable
Peaks Counseling will also be adapting to using online tools and games to help clients during this time.
How do I pay for an online session?
At this time, credit cards will be the best form of payment. We suggest having that ready at the time of your call so your clinician may take down that info. If you have multiple sessions lined up, you can agree to keep your credit card on file for future appointments. Peaks Counseling uses a safe and secure payment system for processing fees.
Will the cost be the same as a regular in-person appointment?
Yes, the cost will remain the same as an in person visit. Despite turning to online counseling, your clinician is still going to use any therapeutic techniques that would normally be used face to face. For children, concepts and play therapy skills will still be put to use.
How long will teletherapy be replacing face to face sessions?
For the time being, Peaks Counseling will be accommodating in person appointments as well as teletherapy. There is no end date for teletherapy and we will continue with it into the future if people prefer that method. We are making any adjustments needed in order to keep everyone healthy and safe.